Mexico Immigration Laws And Requirements

Mexico immigration is something you will need to consider on an individual basis. If you plan to retire and live most of the year in Mexico, you will need to get an immigrant permit to do so from the Mexican Consulate. If you plan to visit up to 180 days at a time, you may not need to obtain this permit and can be classified as a non immigrate permit. In Mexico, foreign visitors are welcome and encouraged.

Immigrant permits are those that are required for individuals that plan to gain permanent residency in the country.

Non immigrant permits are permits that allow you to come to the country for a specific purpose, such as a vacation.
When you come to Mexico, immigration does not require that you surrender your natural citizenship to become a Mexican National.

If you obtain an immigrant permit, you will be granted most of the rights that Mexicans have. This includes the ability to live and work in the country, as well as to claim some benefits. This still does not allow you to vote here, and you may be required to pay taxes.
There are several types of Mexico immigration options available under these two distinctions, though. Here’s a short breakdown.
FMT: This is a short term non immigrant visa that will allow you to spend up to six months in the country. These are obtained by airlines and are available when you arrive at the country’s port of entry.
FM3: This is a long term non immigrant visa. This is a long term, renewable visa for temporary residency. You cannot convert this visa into permanent residency. You can obtain this type of visa for several reasons, but you must use it only for that need. While there are several classifications, including those for business travel, religious travel and others, these are not commonly used for those that are looking to live in Mexico.

FM2: This is the immigrant visa. If you wish to live here, this is the visa you need to have. You must have an FM2 for five years before you can apply for immigrant status for citizenship. To obtain this visa, you must apply for it when you arrive in Mexico and you will need to have an FMT visa in your possession or have an FM3.
Retiree Immigration Permit: This is for those that want to retire in Mexico. Immigration laws require that you be over 50, receive funds from abroad that must meet specific amount guidelines and plan to engage in non profit activities.
Mexico immigration can be very simple, once you understand what your options are. Qualifying for immigration depends on what your goals are.

For more information please visit:
Return to the Mexico Retirement Page
Click here to return from Mexico Immigration to The Best Places To Retire Overseas

Leave a Reply